Monday, October 4, 2010

Popular Cheesey Chicken Chowder

(Since this is one of our family favorites, I'm reposting an older post) -

it's a MUST-TRY for the fall.....When the temps are cooling down and the leaves are changing colors, soup seems to warm us inside and out. It's
truly comfort food.   I plan to share a few more soup recipes in upcoming posts, so stay tuned.....

This recipe has been published in two of the American Profile cookbooks
and in their nationwide publication. I have a friend who lives on the West coast and she got to see this recipe in print before I did!

I've received notes from women (unknown to me) from out of state, and even a phone call letting me know how much they enjoyed this delicious recipe,
after reading it in American Profile.  What a kick!!! 

If you're interested, click on this link and see my recipe online at AP's site....
(there's a better picture there too=)

TRY IT...YOU'LL LIKE IT!

CHEESEY CHICKEN CHOWDER 


3 cups chicken (reduced-sodium) broth
2 cups diced, peeled potatoes
1 cup each - diced carrots & celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/1/2 tsps. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
(we prefer 1-1/2 cups velveeta)
2 cups diced cooked chicken

In large pan, bring chicken broth to a boil.  Reduce heat.

Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper.

Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan.  Add flour and mix well.

Gradually stir in milk and cook over low heat until slightly thickened.

Stir in cheese and cook until melted.

Add to broth and vegetables along with chicken.

Cook and stir over low heat until heated through.

(When I'm in a hurry, I use frozen hash browns and frozen mixed veggies, along with the chopped celery & onions - cooking the fresh ingredients a few minutes before adding frozen)


Linked to 
Kitchen Thyme

4 comments :

  1. This looks easy enough for me to do. I'm going to try this for my hubby! I'm a vegetarian, so he'll be so excited he's getting chicken for dinner...thanks for having a quick option, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking time to post a lovely note - I'm excited that you're trying this recipe - it's one of my published ones, so I do hope your family will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may try this too!


    I'm your newest follower from Mailbox Monday- thanks for joining in!

    www.mamalovesherbargains.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so tasty Marsha! I could really use some more soup recipes, so keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly