Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Easy and Delicious Hot Cocoa

I love chocolate!  And making hot cocoa from scratch is such a delight.

So when I read my good friend Angie's post at A'lil Country Sugar  - about making hot cocoa, I got up from my chair and went right to the kitchen to give it a try.

How can you go wrong melting a chocolate bar in warm milk to drink?  Oh my!!  To die for!



(Of course, enjoying it from a cutsie mug helps too - I received this one as a Christmas gift.  It just seems to make everything taste better. *-*)

This is Angie's version -


Hot Chocolate With Marshmallow Creme


8 oz. 2% milk
2 oz. heavy whipping cream
2 TBS light brown sugar
Heat on medium heat until the mixture bubbles around the edge.



 Remove from heat and add 2 oz. finely chopped chocolate of your choice.


Whisk gently until the chocolate is melted and well combined. You can adjust your chocolate amount to your liking. If you need to add more than 2 oz. add more.

Top hot chocolate with marshmallows or marshmallow creme and chocolate shavings.

The changes I made were....I used 1% milk, fat free half and half instead of whipping cream, and used this special dark chocolate candy bar. 



After all - dark chocolate is healthy for you - how can you go wrong with this healthy treat?

You can't!!!

(I was fortunate to have two of these candy bars and used 1-1/4 - they are 1.45 ozs each)

It was wonderfully delicious and I enjoyed every sip.  I used mini marshmallows because I didn't have the creme.  I'm not a big marshmallow fan, but when these puppies melt in the warm cocoa, I just LOVE them.

It feels like such an indulgence!

And that's always a good thing when you're trying to stick with healthy eating.  I think it's a very good thing to splurge now and then. 

Good for the mind, AND the soul...not to mention the body.

Especially on a cold snowy winter's day.  One terrific way to warm up!

From my "365 Reasons to Eat Chocolate" calendar....

If you are planning to start an exercise program, you will need the extra energy that chocolate brings.  If you are not planning to start an exercise program, you probably don't need an excuse to eat chocolate.   (Or drink it either)

MAKES SENSE TO ME!!

Keep smiling!!

6 comments :

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmm - wish we could share a mug this morning. Okay - maybe not SHARE a mug - but each have a big mugful. lol. I do love homemade hot cocoa. There's nothing like it - and this sounds really decadent. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe Marsha! I haven't made hot chocolate in a long time. Hot chocolate always brings back warm childhood memories of going sledding followed by a nice mug of hot chocolate with a mound of marshmallow on top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb & Jane - thanks for your comments. I'm right there with both of you in your thinking...=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE IT!! I think I might use your version the next time. Way more healthy...you are a GENIUS!!
    I am a snowman fanatic, and I love your mug. So cute!! And the reason to eat chocolate, GREAT IDEA...
    Very nice pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so delicious. I am always looking for more ways to eat/drink chocolate. I like the change to dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh yummy! I always call it "hot chocolate" even though it really is "hot cocoa" but this I would be finally correct in my name! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly