Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lowfat & Easy Cheese Soup..and a Song 2011

TA-DA! We've arrived in a new year..and another decade! It's unbelievable how fast time flies isn't it?


WELCOME to 2011!!!  A year of new beginnings and second chances...and my first blog post of the year! I look forward to visiting with many of you and getting to know you even better in the months ahead.


I SO love the saying..."Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes".

Sure seems that way with me - the older I get, I cannot keep up with how quickly the days...months...and years get by me.


I guess we can probably agree the #1 NY Resolution has to do with our diets! I really went 'hog wild' over the holidays and feel it too. UGH!

I am miserable and need to get both feet back up on the 'healthy eating wagon'.


That's one reason why I added the new 'veggie' background to my blog - to remind me to eat healthy and more salad!  

I hope to focus my January posts about healthier eating dishes & habits. With my dear hubby being diabetic, I've got some pretty terrific low fat/low sugar recipes!

In the past, I have lost weight by following the Weight Watchers plan. It worked well for me, but after a while I needed something more.

I plan to stick with lots of the WW recipes in the new year, and hope you enjoy this favorite of mine.

Some of the goals I aiming for are:
  • eat more veggies and fresh foods
  • make time to exercise atleast 30 minutes 5 times a week
  • drink more water (I don't get thirsty, so it's hard for me to think of it...even though I sometimes fill a jug of water to keep with me...it's just a difficult thing for me to do)

2010 was an awesome and wonderfully blessed year...I enjoyed two glorious vacations, spent special times with family and friends, and got to live my dream-come-true by having my cookbook published...then, with God's Hand of Blessing...sold over 400 in 5 short months. 


We are headed into this new year with new news that my hubby - who is 100% disabled because of Agent Orange - is facing even more health issues.  He's had low kidney function for many years, but a few days after Christmas was told his function has dropped to 20%.  Dialysis begins at 15%. 

So looking ahead, we know there will be changes and challenges, but nothing is impossible with God.  And I believe that with all my heart. 

I try to begin my new year with a theme (usually a scripture verse) to wrap my heart around during the year. {For example, for 2009 my theme was "Joy and peace is mine in 2009" - Romans 15:13} 

This year, I heard a song on January 1st and thought to myself 'This is it! This is my theme for the year!" I cried and cried as I listened to the words of this song that deeply stir my heart and soul. 


These are lyrics to the chorus of the Christian contemporary song "I Will Follow Christ". 

Chorus:

I will follow Christ
I will run the race
Fighting the good fight
Standing on my faith
I will wear the name of Jesus
I will give Him all my life
As for me no matter what the sacrifice
I will follow Christ

I look forward to the year ahead...even though we don't know what the future holds...we know Who holds the future, and that's good enough for me. 

I have made this soup recipe so often, I have the recipe memorized. Very easy and delicious - and wonderful at 1 WW point per cup!

As you can see in the picture, I like to use a combo of broccoli & cauliflower, and even better - I use California blend veggies - with carrots also. MMM!

Enjoy this with a delicious salad and you'll feel better, physically and emotionally, about eating healthy. 

ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!


It only takes a few simple ingredients!

                                             



Cheese Soup

4-15 ozs. cans of 99% fat free chicken broth
2 - 16 ozs. bags of vegetables - broccoli or broccoli/cauliflower combo
1 can rotel tomatoes (If rotel are too spicy, try using italian, or unseasoned tomatoes), drained slightly
10 oz. 2% light Velveeta

Cook vegetables in broth until tender - add tomatoes and velveeta and stir until cheese is melted.

Makes 10 cups

WW points - 1 per cup


I normally saute chopped onions and celery in oil before I add the broth and vegetables..just to add a little crunch.  Oftentimes, I mash the veggies with a potato masher instead of having large chunks. It's an option so do as you like best. Of course, if you prefer, use fresh raw veggies instead of frozen.

WHATEVER YOU DO.....ENJOY EVERY BITE!
Best wishes on sticking with your goals. I try to tell myself I need to stick with it until Valentine's Day - when I can reward myself with a little chocolate for being good. I think rewarding ourselves..somehow...is very effective when it comes to goal setting.

1 comment :

  1. I have quite a few WW recipes. You are convincing me to break them out...
    What a good idea to begin your year with a theme. I'm sure your theme keeps you focused.
    The soup sounds wonderful!! And you know I love soup.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly