Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dressed Up Green Beans + Better Baker Bargains

I made this a while back, and haven't been able to think of a clever name for it, so this is what I ended up with...

I got the idea from another recipe, but I just didn't take this one 'as far', and it was oh so delicious.

Here's a picture of it simmering on my stove...see that lovely steam rising as it cooks.


This is what I did....

I sauteed some chopped onion in olive oil until it caramelized a little bit, then added water, a bag of frozen green beans, and about 1 Tb. brown sugar.  I let it simmer for about 12 minutes and then we gobbled it up.

This is a basic recipe - hope you enjoy it too, and make it your own by
adding anything else your family would enjoy.

1/2 med. onion, chopped
1 Tb. olive oil
1 - 1# bag of frozen green beans
about 1/2 c. water (or chicken broth)
1 Tb. brown sugar
(I used 1/2 Tb. brown sugar splenda)

I served it topped with fresh ground pepper.

(My hubby's nickname is BEAN, and he loves beans of all kinds - that's how he got the name when he was very young. So...we do eat alot of them, and we enjoyed this 'spin' on a simple dish.)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I love grocery shopping!

Mostly because I buy what's on sale and use coupons.

Not long ago, I saved more than I spent and I saved this receipt to prove it to you!  WOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Almost everything I purchased that day was on sale.  The store figures the original prices of those items + your coupon amounts to let you know how much you saved.  I LIKE IT!!  I LIKE IT!!!

Take a look see...


Are you able to read that?  I paid out $19.31 and my total savings added up to $19.78 - is that a blast or what????

Thank you Lord for great deals and helping me save $$!

I love my grocery store!!

4 comments :

  1. I love the idea of the green beans. I can see a little bacon being thrown in. Bacon and brown sugar??? They just go perfect together.
    And how much do you charge for grocery shopping? I am going to hire you to do mine. I am terrible at clipping coupons, and a lot of the coupons are usually quick-fix foods that I don't use....UGH!! Why can't there coupons for fresh produce, breads, milk,...the stuff that we use every day.
    I do love sales though.
    I love the background....so fresh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the recipe name! :) Great job shopping! I hope I can be just like you when I grow up! :) I really need to work on those coupons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! Don't you just love saving more than you spend! Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to reading more of your posts. ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love green beans and have never had them with brown sugar. Will be making these soon.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly