Friday, March 25, 2011

Slow Cooker Chocolate Pudding Cake


This is a delicious and versatile recipe that can be found in my cookbook - Recipes & Recollections from The Better Baker.  

My hubby is diabetic so I do lots of low sugar desserts in our house.

But this can be made sugar-full as well - you choose.

I was anxious to try the new sugar free cake mixes (thank you Pillsbury!) and so I chose this recipe and made it sugar free.

It was soooo good!

We enjoyed it with some tasty sugar free vanilla ice cream, but I didn't want to cover up
the moistness of the cake, so I took a picture before I added the ice cream.



It really was moist and gooey - something my taste buds adore!!



These are the simple ingredients I used.

It's always good to remember that when baking with Splenda, your baking time will be shortened.  This recipe (using sugar sweetened items) calls for baking in slow cooker for 4 - 6 hrs.  I baked this for only 3.

Hershey's has sugar free chocolate chips available that are very tasty.  But I would recommend if you're not use to eating totally sugar free, use some sugar in this recipe as the sugar free products can tend to make you..um...er...'toot-y'!

You could use 50% reduced sugar cake mix, along with the other ingredients that contain sugar.   Hoping you 'get the picture'.

Another change I made was instead of using 3/4 c. oil, I used 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce and 1/4 c. oil.  Applesauce is a much healthier alternative to oil.

SLOW COOKER CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE


1 - 18 ozs. box chocolate cake mix
1- 3 ozs. box instant chocolate pudding
2 c. sour cream (I used lite)
4 eggs
1 c. water
3/4 c. canola oil
(I used 1/4 c. oil + 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce)
1/2 c. toffee bits, optional
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Stir in toffee and chocolate chips.  Pour into 5-qt. slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray. (Or use one of those nifty liners).  Cover and cook on low for 4 - 5 hours; (If using sugar free, watch your time closely as it tends to cook faster); center will be soft.  Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.  Yield: 8 - 10 servings

Try it...I think you'll like it!



Print Friendly and PDF









23 comments :

  1. This is a REALLY good, decadent dessert! Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummmy....and sugar free!! So that means you can eat as much as you want, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep Angie - that's just how I figure it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just sounds AMAZING!!! A chocolate cake in a Crockpot? I LOVE IT! : ) I also love how you use applesauce in it! I do that when I make brownies! I will be making this real soon!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks great! I'm not a diabetic but I do try to watch my sugar intake. Thanks for sharing a yummy recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great one to put on before we go to church...can't wait to make it! Oh you can use sugar free jello and pudding in that Strawberry Pie and Splenda in the Shortbread Crust. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, nothing beats a gooey chocolate cake and certainly not when it can be made in a slow cooker for ultimate ease. Your house must have smelled so delicious while this cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my heck! YUM! And in the slow cooker?! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds divine - can't wait to try it, I recently make a pineapple upsdie down cake in the crock pot - it was kind of a mess, but to die for!!

    http://www.mybudgetland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so yummy!!! I saved it :) thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great. Being diabetic myself I am always looking for something new to make. This is it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is calling my name!

    I wanted to invite you to join in on a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY on my blog

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/

    "Made it on Monday" you can link your recipes every WED.-SAT. ;)

    Hope you will join us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also one of your newest followers! WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow ... this one caused drooling! Wow, does that sound good and it looks like such a nice and moist cake. Thanks for sharing! Will be making this one soon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would VERY MUCH LOVE to come home to a slow cooked dessert that looked like this! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is an excellent idea for the summer! I am trying hard not to use the oven. I am going to give this a try - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE crock pot meals...and have yet to try dessert in mine! YAY! Excited to try this one, thank you, lovely one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just popped in from Melt in Your Mouth Monday. I've never tried a cake in the crock pot. This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    Jaymie @ http://dancesdishesanddreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this with Foodie Friends Friday. I also watch my sugar intake and have been wanting to try those new cake mixes! I'll be sharing this recipe on my Walking on Sunshine FB page today! Please come back and VOTE on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a tasty recipe! From a chocolate lover to another (I'm assuming you are as well) the sugar free part is a bonus! Thank You for sharing.
    Came over from Nosh my Way FFparty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delish! I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds yummy! I found you from Foodie Friends Friday. I would love for you to share at my Tried and True Recipe party: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/05/tried-and-true-recipes-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. This we'll have to try. Great for the summer to keep my kitchen cool! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly