Friday, July 22, 2011

Double Berry Crisp

Blueberries are still in season - I hope you'll give this awesome dish a try.

I made this delicious treat for our July 4th celebration and am just getting the post typed up. 

What a busy summer it's been!!

After I won a dessert contest online back in March (click here to see the post about my prizes) I've been anxious to use these darling star-shaped ramekins.

On the morning of July 4th, it dawned on me...I already had what I needed to make this recipe and divide it up into my new ramekins.

I was soo excited!

OH HOW I LOVE SPECIAL TOUCHES!  And using these for July 4th was perfect!


You cook the berries (I threw in a handful of frozen blackberries also) with sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and orange peel; place the sauce in the ramekins, then top with the crunchy mixture.


I prefer using cornflakes instead of flour for a bigger CRUNCH in the topping, but you can choose.

A great dish any time of year...and another favorite from my cookbook.
(I do hope you don't get weary of me telling you that!=)

I enjoy my crisp best when it's warmed, topped with ice cream.

OH SO BERRY DELICIOUS!!!!



DOUBLE BERRY CRISP


1 c. sugar (I use half xylitol)
1/4 c. cornstarch
(I like to add a tad more if using frozen berries)
2 Tb. orange juice
1 tsp. grated orange peel
2 C. fresh or frozen raspberries
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Topping:

1 c. old-fashioned oats
1/2 c. crushed cornflakes
(for less crunch, use all purpose flour)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
(I use 1/4 c. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt  (I omit)
1/4 c. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. In large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, orange juice, orange peel and berries until blended.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.  Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking dish. In a bowl, combine the oats, cornflakes, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; using a fork or pastry blender, blend in the butter.  Sprinkle over top of berry mixture.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes (less time if using Splenda) or until filling is bubbly.  Cool for 10 minutes before serving. 

(If using frozen berries, do not thaw before adding to berry mixture before cooking)

I've also used strawberries in this recipe - use what you have, and you're sure to enjoy every tasty bite!




Print Friendly and PDF



         Linked to Fit & Fabulous Friday
                         Hugs & Cookies Tasty Tuesday
                       Wonka Wednesday
                       Sweets for a Saturday

11 comments :

  1. I love those ramekins! They're so cute! What a great lookin' dessert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely - I also love the little ramekins - so much more pretty than using one big pie dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of all fruit cobblers. This looks really delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good and just adorable in those ramekins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, mmmm! This is a great treat. There's nothing like blueberries in a dessert and the ramekins were made for the crisp. Due to our 5 day power outage recently, I lost many pints of frozen blueberries and blackberries so will have to buy more at the market now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo... Marsha that looks so good and I LOVE those ramekins! So cute! What a great treat this must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ramekins....and berry crisp is a favorite of mine. YUMMM-O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute dishes!! Thank you for sharing this recipe! I love anything with berries in it! YUM~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! These ramekins were just perfect, right???? These look so goooood! Thanks for linking up at wonka wednesday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly