Monday, October 10, 2011

Wonderful Butternut Squash Bread (Healthier Choices)


I'm loving this!
I have sooo many wonderful 'fall-ish' recipes and hope to have a few extra posts in the upcoming weeks to share my favorite fall recipes - apple, squash and pumpkin recipes..and soups too. 

Butternut Squash is my favorite fall veggie...all-time favorite squash.
So I was just de-lighted when I came across a recipe using it in a quick bread at My Baking Addiction 

credit: My Baking Addiction
(Jane - look out!I know how you love sweet breads! =)

This bread is deliciously moist and a terrific way to use up an abundance of squash.

I tweaked it just a tad and substituted some healthier options.

I took it to a ladies Bible study and had many good comments about it.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. It's MMMM good.

 Actually, I made 2 loaves - the picture below is of the one with chocolate chips...

 



I added craisins to the other and they were both very tasty.
And if you like cream cheese even a little bit, this bread is fantastic topped with cream cheese.

The flavors of this awesome bread blend even more after a couple of days.


BUTTERNUT SQUASH BREAD

1 cup butternut squash puree
2 eggs
(I used 1 TB. ground flax seed meal and
3 TB. water to replace one egg)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
(I used 1/4 c. applesauce +
1/4 c. oil)
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1-3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 ts. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cardamom
(I replaced with pumpkin pie spice)


Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour one 8" X 4" X 2" loaf pan.

In large bowl, mix together the squash puree, eggs, oil, and

sugars until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom.


Stir in the dry ingredients into the squash mixture. Combine just until incorporated; do not overmix. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake 55 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center 

of the loaf comes out clean.

Add any 'extras' you'd like...dark, semi sweet, or white chocolate chips, nuts, craisins, etc.

Enjoy surprising your family & guests with a 'hidden' (healthy even!) ingredient!

Linked to Melt in Your Mouth Monday
       Totally Tasty Tuesday
   Wonka Wednesday
   Ingredient Spotlight
Gooseberry Patch - Harvest Favorites
Weekend Potluck



































4 comments :

  1. I love butternut squash and this looks so yummy! I need to make banana bread today. I have some bananas that are going to ruin on me. Fall recipes are wonderful and I just love all the baking in the fall of the year. It will be Thanksgiving before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A UNIQUE RECIPE-I WILL AHVE TO TRY THIS FOR SURE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe again! I pinned it to make soon as we LOVE butternut but am getting tired of the same recipes I use - have a great weekend,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic! I've been searching for creative, new fall recipes! Also, I have a fall giveaway on my blog now if you're interested: http://foodforthefresh.blogspot.com/2012/09/fall-giveaway.htm

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly