Friday, October 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies - Crazy Cooking Challenge

Photobucket


This is the 'second round' of The Crazy Cooking Challenge and I'm so excited to be a participant! Please take time to review the recipes at the end of this post and vote for your favorite....

 
Over 100 of us are all posting a chocolate chip cookie recipe at the same time today - all across the country!
 
 
This is a fantabulous cookie recipe I found at Mels Kitchen Cafe!
 
I not only give these cookies a "Thumbs UP" rating....I also have to add a W.O.W. rating too!
 
I would really like to rename them...Magic Bar Cookies!
 


You probably remember that awesome layered cookie recipe - some call them Hello Dollies, Seven-Layer Bars or Magic Bars. 
 
This is a drop cookie version of that recipe and it's amazing.  I had to try it, but wasn't sure if maybe they would flatten all over the cookie sheet.
 
No way - they turned out just like cookies and they are somewhat sticky and chewy on the inside.  I love that about my cookies!
 

I'm sure the 1/2 c. of flour added to the dough makes a difference.
 
The dough contains sweetened condensed milk and NO eggs!
 
Do hope you'll try them. They're definitely a new fave in my recipe file!
 



CHOCOLATE CHIP TREASURE COOKIES
 
1-1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (about 25 - 30 squares)
1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 - 14 ozs. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. butter, room temperature
1-1/3 c. coconut
2 c. (1 pkg.) semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
(I prefer mine toasted first)
 
Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder.  In a large bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk and butter until smooth.  Add graham cracker crumb mixture; mix well. Stir in coconut, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoonsful onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. (the larger the cookie, the longer it takes to bake)
 
Options:
Use low fat sweetened condensed milk.  Fat free would probably work too, though it contains more water and I'm guessing you'd need more flour?
 


 
Use half chocolate chips and half butterscotch, or even peanut butter chips.
 
Linked to Sweets for a Saturday
                Recipe of the Week
 
 
 
 
 
Photobucket



9 comments :

  1. Marsha, I don't believe it. We picked the same recipe! How funny is that? Guess, grandmothers know a good thing when they see it. Since two of us picked it, it should win, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! Who knew there are so many way to make choc chip cookies :) I would love you to check mine out, they are #5. Thanks!

    The Farm Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound amazing!!! What a unique cookie! I definitely need to give these a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those cookies looks delicious!!! I love Hello Dollies and chocolate chip cookies, so I'm sure to love these! Does the no eggs mean I can eat all the batter I want without guilt? :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the idea of using the condensed milk! You ladies picked a great recipe. I can't wait to try it!

    Jen#17

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very different and wonderful sounding, I need to give these a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my entry, Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made the bar version. I bet they are wonderful in a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magic Bars are one of my all time favorites! I NEED to try this cookie asap!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly