Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Crockpot Hash Brown Soup

Isn't it amazing how this time of year makes us think more about soup?? 

I know I've been having thoughts of soup slosh around in my head for sure!!!

Soup is good for chasing away the chills on these cooler autumn days!


And I've been using my crockpot...a.lot!  I have some great recipes waiting to be shared with you in the days and weeks ahead.

This is a wonderfully simple, and simply wonderful soup!

I found the recipe in a desk calendar from Taste of Home.

And we ALL know what great recipes they have to share!

This dish is just sooooo versatile & it's a Healthy Option besides!

There are so many ways you can 'change this up' to suit your family's taste buds.

I added diced Canandian bacon and let it simmer all day with the frozen hash browns.

I considered adding peas and carrots toward the end of cooking time, but then I found some leftover fresh cooked green beans in the fridge, so I cut them into bite size pieces and added them.

I also had a tad bit of leftover canned mushroom soup, so I diluted it just a bit and added it at the start.

You can top it with bacon & cheese, or add cheese to the soup itself. Use cheddar, swiss, Velveeta or pepper jack.

It's also easy to throw together.

Enjoy it for dinner tonight!


HASH BROWN SOUP

2 - 3 green onions, chopped
2 tsp. canola oil
1 pkg. (28 ozs) frozen O'Brien potatoes
(I think because of the length of time this soup cooks, it's best to use the chunky-not shredded-hashbrowns)
2 c. 2% milk
(I used 1%)
(I think it needed closer to 3 c.)
1 can (10-3/4 ozs) reduced-fat reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup, undiluted
6 turkey bacon strips, diced and cooked
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a small skillet, saute the onions in oil until tender.  In a 5-qt. crockpot, combine the potatoes, milk, soup and onion mixture. 

Cover and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or until heated through. Top each serving with 2 TB. bacon and 1 TB. cheese

Yield: 8 servings

8 comments :

  1. This looks wonderful! And I bet it hits the spot to warm the body....YUMMMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good one. I am always up for new soup recipes. Will be giving this one a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple recipes are my friend--and I've also had soups 'sloshing around my head' =). I love this season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That looks de-lish! Love your Autumn background! Your blog looks so warm and cozy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love potato soups and this one looks really good and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A RECIPE-I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Better Baker! I'm Chef Corey from Family Fresh Meals. I bet this soup is going to be a favorite in my house! I also just started a new recipe Linky called Sunday Funday.This recipe would be perfect for the first week theme CROCKPOT. Each week will be a new theme. Once this Sunday Funday gets going, I would LOVE to do a random gift card giveaway each week. But I am going to need a good amount of posts to start that, so come join the fun each week. At the end of the week, a recipe/blog will be picked at random to be the featured recipe for the following week. Hope you stop by and join!

    http://familyfreshmeals.blogspot.com/2011/11/sunday-funday-recipe-of-week.html

    XO Chef Corey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this for dinner and it was not good, I had to doctor it after removing from the crockpot to make it edible. I think I would have preferred using fresh potatoes instead of frozen.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly