Thursday, November 10, 2011

Butterscotch Apple Cake

I began making this awesome apple dessert a couple of years ago  after seeing it in a Taste of Home calendar.

I'll always remember the first time my sister-in-love, Susie,  tasted it.  She was hesitant as she said she doesn't care for butterscotch.

She surprised us both!  One bite and she was raving.  She said she couldn't wait to go home and make it for her husband. She has told me they enjoy it now too.

It's been a family favorite ever since.  I love that you can make a small pan of it or double the recipe and bake it in a 9" X 13".....

Or even make little 'grab 'n go' treats as I did this time when I baked them in muffin tins.

That's what I do when I'm in a rush...

They're nice and moist..and they say...
"M.O.R.E. Please" 

Serving with a drizzle of glaze or caramel is optional.
It's really very moist and doesn't need a topping.



BUTTERSCOTCH APPLE CAKE

1-1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. white sugar
(I used half Splenda)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
(I use half applesauce)
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. peeled, chopped apple
1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1/2 c. butterscotch chips, divided

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8" square baking dish. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.  Blend sugar, oil and eggs until smooth; stir wet mixture into dry and mix just until combined.  Stir in the apples, pecans and 1/4 cup butterscotch chips. 

Pour into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with remaining butterscotch chips.  Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 4 - 6 good-sized servings

(Of course, if you bake them in muffin tins, the baking time will be shortened. I baked mine about 25 minutes...that's using Splenda, that bakes faster.) 



4 comments :

  1. I have the apples and just stocked up on the butterscotch chips. I need something for a church potluck Sunday. If I double the recipe, this just might be it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM....butterscotch and apples go great together. I will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! This sounds DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha, these sound heavenly!! Oh my word. I love the combination of butterscoth & apple. All in a cake!! Perfect!! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing recipes with us on our new Foodie Friday series!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly