Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Simple Apple Dumplings {Family Favorite}

My dear mama made apple dumplings often when we 4 kids were growing up. Some Saturdays, she'd bake all day long - mostly pies - but would make apple dumplings too, and that's what we'd have for Sat. night dinner.

We had NO clue how spoiled we were!!

My mom's sisters and families would come for a visit from an hour away, and mom would do all the hard work of making pies from scratch, and dumplings too.  Her sisters brought pies and cakes, but mom was the 'official' pie maker in my family. 

She labored long hours making the crust from scratch, rolling out the dough, cutting the squares and wrapping them around the apple slices, sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar. 

As much as I appreciate her labors, and recipes, I think I have discovered an easier way to make dumplings!



The comment I put in my cookbook recipe notes for this dish, says I won't ever use another apple dumpling recipe after trying this one.

This is the best. So yummy with little work.

Crescent rolls are such a versatile ingredient and they add to the ease and heartbreakingly deliciousness of this dessert.
 
Since my hubby is diabetic, and I rarely make anything using the full sugar amounts, I do use Splenda, so this is a favorite because I can use diet soda as well. 

I have also used diet 7-Up instead of the Mt. Dew.

One of my sis-in-loves, Vicki, who is an awesome cook herself, says this makes the best 'sauce' of any other dumpling recipe she's tried.


Bake them in the morning and then reheat to serve if you'd like. We have always liked ours with a little milk in the bowl, but of course, they're terrific with ice cream too.

Really no need to drizzle some caramel syrup since the sauce adds great flavor.
Give 'em a try!  You won't be sorry at all.

Maybe they'll become a favorite at your house like they are at ours.

ENJOY EVERY TASTY BITE!!!


SIMPLE APPLE DUMPLINGS

8 Granny Smith, or any baking apple
(I prefer galas - use your favorite)
2 - 8 ozs pkgs. (reduced-fat) refrigerated crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
(I cut back to 1)
1-1/2 c. sugar
(I use 3/4 c. xylitol)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 - 12 ozs. can Mt. Dew soda
(I use diet 7-Up or Sprite)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9" X 13" baking dish.  Peel and halve apples.  Separate crescent rolls; roll up apples in crescent rolls from big end to little end. Place in prepared pan. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. In saucepan, melt butter; add sugar/cinnamon mixture. Pour mixture over the apples, then pour the Mt. Dew around all the dumplings.  Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until apples are tender.  Serve warm with ice cream or milk.

Tip: I cover the pan with foil after 30 minutes as the rolls tend to brown too much after that length of time in the oven.

Linked to Crazy Sweet Tuesday
                 Totally Tasty Tuesday
            Tea Party Tuesday
        Bake with Bizzy
                Fit & Fabulous Friday
   Recipe of the Week
    Mrs. Fox's Sweet Party
Ingredient Spotlight
Weekend Potluck



9 comments :

  1. Darn it I just wiped down my computer keypads and now you have me drooling all over them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These look delicious and I look forward to trying them VERY soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Those look SO good. And I love the memories too! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these speedy little dumplings! My mother-in-law makes these, too but I have never tried them with diet soda. That is a great substitution for all the sugar! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had these before, they sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these would make a perfect weekend breakfast for my family! Love the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delish! Thanks for sharing at Mrs Foxs Sweet Party :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a lighter version! I made my own version using peaches and adding lemon zest and some fried basil over the top. So good, but I know I'd love apple even more. I love apple stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly