Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Simple Date Balls

Date balls always make me think of my precious mama. 

They are deliciously sweet just like she was too.


The last time I made them, it was for a bake sale.

They are quick & easy to make.  I think they have a 'caramel-y' flavor to them, and I LOVE caramel. 

Love dates too!


The photo above is of the cooked mixture, then the balls being rolled in powdered sugar..


DATE BALLS

1/2 c. margarine or butter
(I use 6 Tb.)
3/4 c. white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. dates, chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. pecans, finely chopped
2-1/2 c. rice krispies cereal, slightly crushed
flaked coconut or powdered sugar

In a skillet, melt butter; cool a few minutes. Add sugar, then egg, salt and dates. Cook 6 - 8 minutes over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; add vanilla, nuts and rice krispies; stir quickly.  Cool a few minutes; form into balls (I make them a little bigger than the size of a walnut) and roll in coconut or powdered sugar.  Store in refrigerator.  These freeze well.  Can be made ahead a few days also.

Yield: about 2 dozen

2 comments :

  1. I LOVE dates. I'll definitely be trying this recipe! TFS.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  2. These balls are a must at X-Mass time in my family. Love them. Love them. Can't stop with just one.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly