Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins with Carrot Puree

I am wild! about muffins. They are a healthier alternative to all the sweets that I love.

I'm all for 'grab n go' goodies!

Add oatmeal to them and I am SO happy!

I found this recipe in "The Muffin Cookbook...Muffins for All Occasions".

It's just a small soft cover book with only 90 pages, but
it's something I keep handy on my cookbook shelf. I've used it for years.

These muffins were very yummy...and healthy too.

I made them for hubby to take on an overnight fishing trip a while back and he and his brother really enjoyed them.

These have pineapple in them which adds moistness and a flavor boost.

The recipe also calls for Sour Cream!  YUUUMMM!

I had some baby food jars of carrots that I'd purchased on sale a while back, and kept forgetting about them.

I decided to add that small jar of puree to these muffins, for added flavor and nutrition, and was very pleased with the results.


Of course, they are orange, but that for me, that makes them more taste-tempting!

The original recipe doesn't call for the puree, so if you choose to make them without, you don't need to make any changes.

I didn't when adding the extra flavor.

This is a great way to sneak more veggies into your family's diet.


OATMEAL RAISIN MUFFINS

1 (8 ozs) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 c. dairy sour cream
1 egg
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
1/4 c. carrot puree, optional
(try using butternut squash or pumpkin?)
1-1/2 c. all purpose or white wheat flour
1 c. old-fashioned oats
1/2 c. sugar
(I used 1/4 c. sugar, 1/4 c. Splenda)
1 Tb. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. raisins

Preheat oven to 350. In small bowl, combine pineapple, sour cream, egg, butter and carrot puree until blended.  In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; make well in center. Pour in pineapple mixture.  Stir until just mixed.  Spoon into greased 2-1/2-inch muffin cups. Bake 30-35 minutes until lightly browned and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Serve warm.

(Splenda bakes faster and mine baked for about 23 minutes).

Yield: 12 muffins

5 comments :

  1. Perfect for breakfast! I bet that pineapple made them extra yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and healthy muffins!I too am a muffin-freak and adding all those healthy veggies just makes you feel less guilty having them;)Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmm - sounds yummy! I'm thinking I have some butternut squash puree handy - I might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet these are nice and moist with the pineapple in them! Love the ingredients you used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're definitely a great baker! super healthy muffins!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly