Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chocolate Swirl Cake {Lighter Option}


From my "365 Reasons to Eat Chocolate" Calendar...

YOU WILL ONLY PASS THIS WAY ONCE. SO GRAB THE CHOCOLATE BEFORE THE NEXT GUY DOES.


This is a wonderfully fabulous dessert and no one will be able to tell it's 'light'. 

(And that's one reason why it's in my cookbook!)

It is delicious enough I have served it to company. So many others are careful about what they eat too, and it's great to have recipes like this in our files to serve to those who want lower sugar desserts.  


This does use a cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling...reduced sugar.

And anything you can add cream cheese to is a winner in my book.

(Literally!=)

Would be a great dessert to serve your family for Valentine's Day, and they will think you're treating them royally.

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing this would make an awesome dessert using a red velvet cake mix too!


CHOCOLATE SWIRL CAKE

1 - 18 ozs. box chocolate cake mix
(50% reduced sugar if you can find it)
1 - 20 ozs. can reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
5 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 - 8 ozs. pkg. 1/3 reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. sugar substitute (Xylitol or Splenda)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9" X 13" X 2" baking dish with cooking spray.  In large bowl, combine cake mix, pie filling, 5 egg whites and vanilla; beat just until moistened.  Spread in prepared pan; set aside.

TOPPING:

In small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar substitute and vanilla until smooth.  Add remaining 2 egg whites; beat on low speed just until combined.  Spread over batter; cut through batter with knife to swirl. Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and topping is set.  But be careful not to overbake. Cool on wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.


8 comments :

  1. You are so thoughtful dear.I could make this cake for my Mom because of the low sugar content coz she is diabetic and cannot take anything very sweet.I loved the swirls and the lovely mix of white and brown - made it a perfect cake for Chocolate Day!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha, that sure looks good. I could go for a piece right now. Just send one my way. I's sure that Red Velvet Cake Mix would work in this also. What an awesome Valentine's dessert that would be. I am saving this one to make next time my son visits from Oregon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the swirl! Looks like a must-try AND a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the swirl! I have to make this very soon! Thanks for sharing on weekend potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell that you have a sweet tooth like me, Marsha lol. I love lightened-up sweets! Less guilt is a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this....love that it's a lighter fare!! Very creative! Thanks so much for linking this up with Mop It Up Mondays at i should be mopping the floor last week. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate, cherries and cream cheese! You really can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!! Exploring your blog & loving your delicious recipes!!
    Your Newest Subscriber :),
    Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly