Monday, October 1, 2012

Chicken Tater Tot Bake (Bake one - Freeze one)



This wonderfully easy and very tasty dish reminded us of chicken pot pie.
I found the recipe in an old Simple & Delicious magazine. 

Hands down, we are both BIG lovers of chicken pot pie!!

In this yummy recipe the crust is made of tater tots....

AND.....the directions are for making 2 dishfulls...
one to enjoy for dinner today, and the other to freeze for later!

(Unless you have a large family and want a 9" X 13" dish for dinner at once)

This dish spells C.O.M.F.O.R.T! 

(Like what grandma use to make) 

MMMMMMMMMM!! 

Serve with a salad and rolls and you're set to make some tummies happy!


CHICKEN TATER TOT BAKE

 2 (10.75 ozs ea.) cans of cream of chicken soup, undiluted 
(I used Healthy Request)
1/2 c. (1%) milk
1/4 c. butter, cubed
(I used Smart Balance)
3 c. cubed cooked chicken
1 pkg. (16 ozs) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
(I used mixed veggies)
1-1/2 c. (6 ozs) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
(I use 2% fiesta blend for everything!)
1 pkg. (32 ozs) frozen Tater Tots
(I had onion seasoned on hand)

Preheat oven to 350.

In large saucepan, combine soup, milk and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in chicken, vegetables and 1 c. cheese. (I also added salt, pepper & garlic salt to taste) 

Transfer to 2 greased 8-inch square baking dishes. Top with Tater tots: sprinkle with remaining cheese. 

Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350 for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 - 10 minutes longer or until heated through. 


Linked to Weekend Potluck


7 comments :

  1. I have always wanted to make the tater tot casserole, but I'm not crazy about the ground beef. Now this recipe is perfect! I can't wait to try it, it looks delicious Marsha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very yummy, and we love chicken pot pie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the recipe!! My family would love Chicken Tater Tot Bake!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Tater Tot crust! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making this!!!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was sooooooooooo friggen good! I think my husband said it was so good every other bite and he never comments on my food!! I used ground chicken breast, cream of mushroom soup and Monterey Jack cheese because I didn't have what it originally called for. I also had to bake mine for over an hour??? This is definitely a keeper, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, now THIS looks delicious. I know my boys would love it and so will I!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly