Thursday, November 1, 2012

Coconut Rice Pudding {Healthier Option}



This is a very tasty rice pudding. 

Since I had opened a can of coconut milk to use partially in something else the day before, and saw this recipe on the label on the can and I wanted to use the rest of it up. I am SO glad I made this dessert. 

It's almost 'sticky' too and oh how I love that...I also loved it warm. 

It's comforting for me...I like to eat a lot of things warm, like fruit crisps or pies,
especially cookies from the oven, but we won't go any further with that thread of thought.  

Anyway - this is a great dessert and I hope you'll try it soon. 

If you like rice pudding, you can 'kick it up a notch' using coconut milk. MMM!

You could always use unsweetened coconut milk if you wanted to cut down on the sugar.  I used brown sugar Splenda for the sweetener, so I felt like I cut back on it some. 

My hubby's comment after enjoying his first serving was...
"You can make that again anytime!" 


COCONUT RICE PUDDING 

1/2 c. uncooked long grain rice 
(the recipe suggests jasmine rice)
1 c. water
1 cinnamon stick
1 c. (unsweetened) coconut milk
1 cup 1% lowfat milk
1 - 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. brown sugar, unpacked
(I've grown to love the Sufrin Gold Brown Sugar Substitute!)
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon rind, optional

Place rice and cinnamon stick in a pot, cover with water. Bring rice to boil, turn down heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.  Remove cinnamon stick. Add coconut milk, lowfat milk, vanilla and brown sugar. Simmer 12 - 15 minutes. Add lemon rind and simmer until almost all liquid is absorbed. Serve with cinnamon or mango slices and vanilla ice cream. 

Linked to Creative Thursday
            Weekend Potluck

4 comments :

  1. I love rice pudding, but haven;t made it in years...I'll have to change that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! I love jasmine rice..it has such a wonderful aroma.

    Doesn't it make you feel good when your family says they want a recipe repeated? So rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks truly delicious! I've never had rice pudding before, but it always sounds good! I like the flavors you have in this one, and you make it look easy....I want to try this out!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love rice pudding but have only ever tried it with reg. milk. I'll have to give the coconut milk a try now too :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly