Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tasty Wilted Spinach



I don't get enough vegetables in me and was excited to see this recipe from Angie at A 'lil Country Sugar. Angie is a local friend that I met through blogging (she came to one of my first cookbook signings back in 2010), and we just happened to see each other at a restaurant recently.  That was fun as we hadn't connected in a while...face to face anyway. 

My mom use to make wilted lettuce often, so I knew I would love this dish. 
The only change I made to Angie's recipe was to use less butter and oil. 
I had my new Christmas non-stick pan and didn't need it.  (and there's bacon grease!!=) 

Actually, hubby was not home that evening and I ate the whole thing myself!
It made a tasty meal just for me. 

What a great way to dress up fresh spinach! The nutmeg and lemon juice make it just perfect. 

Wonderfully delicious & flavorful!!


WILTED SPINACH 

1 med. onion, chopped
2 - 3 slices bacon, diced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
2 TB. butter
2 TB. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 # baby spinach leaves
Juice of 1/2 medium lemon

Cook and stir onion, bacon, and garlic in butter and oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onion starts to brown. Reduce heat, stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Stir just until wilted. Drizzle with lemon juice. 

Serve hot.

Linked to Weekend Potluck

3 comments :

  1. that looks delicious...a one dish meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - I love spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good!

    I like spinach, but dont eat it as often as I should!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly