Thursday, March 14, 2013

Skinny PB & J French Toast Sticks


I love the wonderful 'skinny' recipes I subscribe to at Nancy Fox's Skinny Kitchen.  She shares shopping tips and nutritional values, even Weight Watchers Points.  I so appreciate having all that info given to me instead of trying to figure it all out on my own. 

No matter how you like your peanut butter - chunky or smooth, salted or natural, it is a great product to snack on. It goes with so many things.  I love it on my celery and with a banana. I enjoy adding it to smoothies and making healthy 'raw' snacks with it too. 

I also love french toast, so when I saw this easy (& Skinny!) dish, I had to try it right away. 

It's made healthier by using multi-grain bread, natural unsalted peanut butter, egg whites and reduced sugar jam. 

( used Aunt Millie's Low Carb bread - only 35 cals per slice....this is Nancy's nutritional info with the bread she used...

I used Milton’s Multi-Grain bread for my calculations. 
Each slice has 110 calories, 1g fat, 5g protein, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 150mg sodium)

Only 170 calories (per 2 sticks) and 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus. (or a whole sandwich for 340 calories).  You're getting a lot of protein to start your day. {We use the low-carb bread and that cuts the calories way back.} 

Enjoy with some fresh fruit and you'll start your day with a smile! 


SKINNY PB & J FRENCH TOAST STICKS 

4 slices whole-wheat or multi-grain bread
4 Tb. natural unsalted chunky or smooth peanut butter
2 Tb. reduced-sugar strawberry preserves or your favorite
4 egg whites
1 Tb. fat-free milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 tsp. reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
2 tsp. powdered sugar

Spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter on each of 2 slices of bread.  Spread 1 tablespoon preserves on each remaining 2 slices.  Put sandwiches together.

In a 9-inch baking dish, whisk egg whites, milk and vanilla.  Place the 2 sandwiches in the dish and let soak on each side.

 Place reduced-fat butter in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.  Cook sandwiches until golden brown, about 2 -3 minutes per side.  Cut each sandwich into four sticks.  Sprinkle the top of each with powdered sugar and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (2 sticks per serving)
(or one whole sandwich for 340 calories) 

Linked to Mop it up Monday
             Mix it up Monday
             Weekend Potluck
             Scrumptious Sunday
            Ingredient Spotlight: PB & J
Thursday's Treasures
Meal Plan Monday


2 comments :

  1. I love French Toast Sticks! =)
    Sounds so yummmy!

    Pinning to save. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha, you are the sweetest!!! Thank you so much for sharing my Skinny PB & J French Toast Sticks. You did a fantastic job!
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly