Sunday, May 5, 2013

Iced Mexican Coffee Smoothie

Happy CINCO DE MAYO!! 

Mexican food has been my favorite ethnic choice for as long as I can remember. 

Being in the military, you meet folks from all over the world.

I once had a neighbor who was Phillippino.  She taught me to make the best fried rice.  She had an Irish mother-in-law who came to visit and did a 'jig' for me!

I wish I could say I learned to make some amazing Mexican dishes from Spanish friends, but I don't recall that I did. 

We love quesadillas and enchiladas at our house.  Mexican food is always my first choice when we eat out. 

Anyway - I've had this recipe in my files for some time. I loved the simplicity of it.
I'm not sure why it's called Mexican coffee. 

It didn't call for a stick of cinnamon, but only 1/4 tsp. so I added a tad more. 

I also used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend for the sugarThe almond extract made it very tasty.  Hubby really loved it too. 

I made strong coffee by adding an envelope of Starbucks VIA instant coffee to 1/2 c. water. Made it nice and strong.  Adjust to your own liking. 

Ole`!!




ICED MEXICAN COFFEE SMOOTHIE 

1/2 c. chilled espresso or strong coffee
1/2 c. (almond) milk
3 Tb. brown sugar
(or 1-1/2 Tb. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon, or more
1/8 tsp. almond extract
1-1/2 c. crushed ice

Combine everything in the blender and process until smooth and frothy. 
Delicioso! 

I topped it with whipped cream and shaved chocolate, but a sprinkle
or two of cinnamon would be nice too. 

Linked to Mop it up Monday
Mix it up Monday
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday

5 comments :

  1. Nice and flavorful smoothie! I like that it is with coffee and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm! I love all things coffee flavored! Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha, this looks so refreshing! I live on Iced coffee in the summer & I have a feeling this will be my new favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly