Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Crunchy Crust French Toast

This is such an awesome way to 'dress up' french toast.  I've been making this recipe since my kids were young...and that's a few decades ago. 

Mix crushed cornflakes with coconut, dip the bread into the mixture before frying and you'll end up with an amazingly crunchy french toast.  SOO good!

This is one of the recipes in my (first) cookbook...the second one has recently arrived at the publishers and I hope to have it in my hand by late August. 
(I AM BESIDE MYSELF WITH EXCITEMENT!!) 

This recipe of mine has been printed across America in the "American Profile" publication.  It is also included in one of their own cookbooks also, along with 5 others from my kitchen. 
YAY!!!!

A local restaurant serves this yummy breakfast dish...but just with the cornflakes.  I order it often and scarf it down.  It's SOOO perfect & delicious!

So....if you aren't wild about coconut, just make it with cornflakes.  You won't be disappointed!

This recipe tastes much like a macaroon, and I just eat it with my fingers...no fork or syrup needed.

I recently saw something similar served with fresh grilled pineapple. OH MY!

Easily double or triple the recipe for larger groups.  Instructions include keeping warm until ready to eat. 

ENJOY!!!

CRUNCHY CRUST FRENCH TOAST

2 eggs
2/3 c. milk (could use half coconut milk)
4 tsp. white sugar (or substitute)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. flaked (unsweetened) coconut
2/3 c. crushed cornflakes
(I crush by hand so you maintain some larger crumbs)
6 Tb. butter or margarine
3 Tb. coconut (or vegetable) oil
8 slices of bread
maple syrup, warmed, optional

Preheat oven to 300*. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until well beaten; add milk, then blend.  In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir to mix. Stir into egg mixture. 

In a shallow pan, combine cornflakes and coconut. Heat half the margarine and half the coconut oil until bubbly in electric skillet at about 325* or on medium heat in skillet on stove. 

Dip 4 bread slices - quickly, so it doesn't fall apart - into egg mixture, then coat with coconut/cornflake mixture.  Place in pan and cook until golden brown, about 
2 - 3 minutes on each side.  

Keep warm in the oven on an ovenproof platter (for up to 20 minutes for best results).  Repeat with remaining bread. (You may want to clean out the pan first before adding second batch).  

Serve with maple syrup or just eat with your fingers. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck


6 comments :

  1. Just printed this! SOUNDS DIVINE! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious!
    French Toast is one of my favorite Breakfast foods. =)

    Pinning to save!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm this sounds like a perfect breakfast to me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could eat French toast any time of the day! And this one sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this one in your cookbook and was already thinking about making it! I love being able to see a photo though, that always clenches the deal for me. Sounds soo good! Oh and Cook's Country did this recipe without the coconut, saying it was a dish the author had at a diner...I bet it was the one you mentioned! The author just had to recreate it b/c it was so good! I don't know where that magazine is but I don't need it b/c I've got the better recipe with coconut right here!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly