Sunday, September 22, 2013

Cake Mix Caramel Apple Toffee Cake with Caramel Drizzle

I know...I know that's such a long title, but I wanted folks to know what all this yummy cake involves. 

OH.SO.GOOD! 

Moist too - I made it the same day I first saw it at Table for 7 (new recipes oftentimes get added to the pile of 'to try's' on my countertop).  I made a caramel drizzle instead of using caramel ice cream topping.

(The recipe comes from a guest on Erin's blog - Mostly Homemade Mom.
She has recipes right up my alley!!  I consider myself to be mostly homemade too!) 

I took some of this yummy dessert to two of my neighbors and they were happy too! 

I love ALL things apple, this time of year.  And I love that it starts with a cake mix too.  I had some chocolate covered toffee bits on hand so I added a cup of those too.  Made a simple caramel and drizzled over the top.  I also added the caramel ice cream topping to the batter, but you can use that for the drizzle if you prefer.   


CAKE MIX CARAMEL APPLE TOFFEE CAKE WITH CARAMEL DRIZZLE 


1 (18 ozs) box yellow cake mix, dry
1 (4 serv. size) pkg. white chocolate instant pudding
(I used sugar free)
1 c. water
4 eggs, slightly beaten
(or use 2 eggs and 4 egg whites)
1/3 c. applesauce (or oil)
2 - 3 Tb. caramel ice cream topping
3 medium apples, peeled and diced into small pieces
(don't grate though, you want the chunks of apple
in the cake)
1 c. toffee bits, optional


Preheat oven to 350. Spray bundt pan with non stick cooking spray. 

In large bowl, combine dry cake mix and dry pudding mix. Add water, beaten eggs, applesauce and caramel topping. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed until smooth and blended. Fold in apple pieces and toffee bits. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 50 - 55 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 30 minutes. Remove from pan, inverting onto a cake plate. When room temperature, make caramel drizzle (recipe below) and drizzle over top. 


Ready to serve!!!!!!  De-Lish!

CARAMEL DRIZZLE

3 (or 4) Tb. butter
3 (or 4) Tb. brown sugar
(use equal parts for both ingredients)

In small saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Over medium high heat,
stirring frequently, heat until it comes to a boil, then boil for 1 minute.  Drizzle over cake and enjoy! 

Linked to Weekend Potluck

4 comments :

  1. I'm probably a weirdo, but I found caramel apple cake mix and frosting at Walmart and refuse to buy it because to me, if you're going to have a fancy cake made from a mix, you should do the fancying up yourself! Like with this! I know, I'm so weird, I bet the mix is killer, but I'll never know. This one, however, I am not opposed to trying! :D Looks and sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome!!! Where oh where is my bundt pan..since I have moved I can't find it..and wanna make this..grrr... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful Cake! =)
    Great combination of flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this cake is making me soooo hungry right now. Then it has a caramel drizzle to top it off ... Mmmm. I need a piece. xo

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly