Thursday, November 21, 2013

Crockpot Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash


(hover over image to pin)

 This is the 'finale'! De-LISH!
(the dark spots are the toasted pecans and cranberries,
but they tasted just fine...better than fine actually). 
 

But before I share the recipe, we're going to have a little lesson in 
identifying squash...and I hope I won't make you BLUSH! *-*
I can't help myself.

We all know THIS...is an Acorn Squash...because it's the shape of an acorn, right???



So, would you agree there's no doubt that this is a
BUTT-ernut squash? 



CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? 
DOESN'T GOD HAVE A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR??

I picked that squash off a huge pile at a local farmer's market because
of it's uniform shape, but when I turned it over, imagine my SHOCK
when I saw this!  

Anyway, back to the acorn squash that's required for this recipe....

 I love Stacy at Stacy Makes Cents. 
She shares simple and frugal meals and tips for living debt free and eating healthy.  She inspires me a lot. And she makes me laugh a lot too! Please stop by and say hello to her from me...you won't be sorry.

I'm a squash lover anyway, but when I saw this recipe at Stacy's blog, I did just what she did...cooked it overnight and enjoyed it for breakfast! 

This reminds me of my beloved recipe for Baked Acorn with Cinnamon Apples
which is one of my all time favorite recipes!  I just never would have thought to bake it in the crockpot.  WA-LA!

DE-Lish...and so easy.  I do hope you'll enjoy it soon too. Below are before and after shots...


CROCKPOT APPLE STUFFED ACORN SQUASH

1 acorn squash, washed, cut in half, seeds removed
2 tsp. maple syrup, optional
2 Tb. butter
2 Tb. sugar or xylitol
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
(I love using fresh)
A few dashes of pumpkin pie spice
1 medium apple, cored and chopped
2 Tb. dried cranberries
2 Tb. nuts, chopped 
1/2 c. apple juice or water


Drizzle 1 tsp. maple syrup over each 'hole' of prepared squash. 
Place a tablespoon of butter into each 'hole' of squash.
Fill halves with apple, cranberries and nuts. 
In small bowl, combine sugar and spices; sprinkle evenly over squash and filling.
Pour juice into crockpot,then place squash halves inside. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or 4 - 5 hours on high until squash is tender. Serve squash halves on plates. 
Scoop & Scarf! 

Yield: 2 servings 
(& I enjoyed both of them! Two different days...just in case ya'll were wondering!) 








    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    Printfriendly