Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cranberry Banana Cheesecake Smoothie

If you've followed my blog for very long at all, you already know I am smitten with smoothies!

I consider myself to be a 'smoothie connoisseur'...always adding or subtracting from a recipe I may have tried before. 

So when I saw this tempting recipe from Michelle at Foodie Friends Friday Daily Dish Ezine....well, you can guess the rest of this story.  *-*

(I made this in December and am sorry I didn't get it shared sooner while cranberries maybe would have been more accessible.  If you can't find them in the produce dept. look in the freezer section of your store)

Years ago, I tried a simple Cranberry Banana jam...and was wild about the flavor combo.  So I knew I would have to add banana.

I also wanted to make it a creamier smoothie, so I substituted a little cream cheese for part of  the greek yogurt. 

I love that you can use fresh or frozen cranberries. I used fresh.  I always keep banana slices in the freezer so I don't have to add ice to my smoothies.

(If you don't have cranberries, try strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or blueberries...or even a mixture!)

Cranberries can be rather tart, so sweeten to taste. I used 1 Tb. honey and also an packet of stevia. It's easy enough to sweeten to your taste after everything is mixed. 

Cranberries have great nutritional benefits. I got this info from the website 

  • Delicious, tart cranberries have significantly high amounts of phenolic flavonoid phytochemicals called pro-anthocyanidins (PAC’s). Scientific studies have shown that consumption of berries have potential health benefits against cancer, aging and neurological diseases, inflammation, diabetes, and bacterial infections.
  • In addition, the berries are an also good source of many vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin A, ß-carotene, lutein, zea-xanthin, and folate and minerals like potassium, and manganese.
Enjoy a cranberry smoothie often for your health!!!!

Onto the recipe....


CRANBERRY BANANA CHEESECAKE SMOOTHIE 


1/2 c. fresh or frozen cranberries
1 c. nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
(or use 3/4 c. yogurt with 2 ozs. cream cheese)
1/2 banana, sliced (frozen makes it thicker)
1/3 c. quick cooking oatmeal
3/4 c. skim milk
1-2 Tb. Tb. honey 
Stevia to sweeten to taste, optional


Toss all the ingredients together in blender and whir at least 30 seconds. 

Serve immediately.


Yield: 2 servings


If you like this recipe, you might want to try this
Skinny Raspberry Banana Smoothie



 
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly