Sunday, August 31, 2014

Homemade Vanilla Wafer Cookies

YUM!  YES!  YUM! 

I used bread flour in this recipe...it helps keep cookies fresher/softer longer. 

I'd had a week of not-so-great recipe turnouts, so I was EXTRA! happy when these turned out to be delish.

They taste much like a store-purchased vanilla wafer, but these are just a bit softer.   A little crunchy on the outside..chewy center.  


And they really spread out. So be sure you place them about 2" apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. 

Very easy recipe...I enjoyed them right away topped with some nutella (one of my daughter's favorite ways to enjoy nutella)...yes, I had to take a photo and send it to her phone right away...she said she drooled all over the phone.

My plan worked perfectly!!! ;-} 

I always recommend using REAL vanilla extract, especially for recipes like this one. And don't be afraid to add the whole Tb....you need it.


HOMEMADE VANILLA WAFER COOKIES 

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 Tb. vanilla extract
1- 1/3 c. all-purpose (or bread) flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350*. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.
Roll into balls, using a heaping teaspoon per cookie. Place the balls 2" apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes or just until the edges are golden brown**(see tip below). Remove to wire racks to cool. 
Yield: about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

TIP:  I found they were still pretty soft when I removed them from the oven after about 12 minutes, but they get harder as they cool, so be careful not to overbake. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck


You might also enjoy this recipe for
Mrs. Field's Copycat Chocolate Chip Cookies 






Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly