Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Molasses Crinkles

Y'ALL!!!

I am here to tell you...if you like molasses, or even if you think you don't...

THESE COOKIES ARE THE BOMB!

They have definitely rate right up there among my favorite cookies!


I first tasted them this summer when I helped in a college kitchen to feed teens. The cook's daughter made a cookbook for her mom a couple of years ago and this is one of the awesome family recipes therein.  We enjoyed many goodies from Margaret's cookbook in those two weeks, and baking individual cookies for over 100 is a royal treat for those kids...and for us workers too. 

Several of the workers asked for the recipe also. Fortunately, I have my own copy of Margaret's lovely cookbook, so I ran off copies after we returned home. 

One of my granddaughters was here the other day and I was surprised when she said how much she liked these cookies too. 

They're a chewy cookie with just the right spice-ness (my own word creation=). They freeze well too...

The dough has to be chilled, so I just bake what I want, when I want it, and then chill the dough til next time.  So plan ahead when making them the first time around. 

Nothin' says lovin' like a warm cookie from the oven, right?? 


MOLASSES CRINKLES

2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt 
3/4 c. shortening, melted
(I used butter)
1 c. sugar 
(plus more for rolling cookies in)
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg


Preheat oven to 375.
Grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. (My preference)

In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients; set aside.
In large bowl, cream melted shortening, egg, sugar and molasses.
Stir in dry ingredients and cream together. Chill well. Roll in walnut-sized balls; roll in granulated sugar to coat well. Place 2" apart on prepared cookie sheet.  Bake 8 - 10 minutes*.  Allow to stand a couple of minutes before removing to wire rack to cool. 

NOTE*: Cookies will look underdone when they should be removed from oven.
They will set up when cooled.   
You might also enjoy 










Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly