Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots

You may want to consider doubling (even tripling) this tasty recipe.

We all know Bacon makes everything better, right?? 

These tasty nibbles are the perfect appetizer for Super Bowl Sunday.

After I made these for the first time, I was amazed how many times my husband asked for them again. He just doesn't normally do that. 

I saw several versions around the net and Pinterest, so just made them my own way.  You can pick and choose how you'd like to make them too. 

I saw some recipes for cutting the bacon in quarters, or halves...
And I read a recipe where they even precooked the bacon.
I also saw ideas to add jalapeno or pickle to the side of the tater tot pre-baking!
You could omit the cheese and I know they would be just as addicting. 
Or you could sprinkle with cheese AFTER baking!
And you can sprinkle brown sugar over them before baking.  No doubt that's wonderful, but since we need to watch our sugar intake, I omitted that step. 

This is a great recipe for making as few, or as many, as you'd like!

I lined the cookie sheet with non stick foil for easy clean up. 

You can dip the cooked tots in ranch dressing, or even maple syrup!

This is a special treat we'll be enjoying again and again.  They take a little time to wrap, but it's oh so worth the time.  


BACON WRAPPED TATER TOTS

32 frozen tater tots, partially thawed 
(about 15 - 20 minutes at room temperature)
16 slices bacon, cut in half
32 - 1/2" chunks cheddar (or cojack) cheese

While tots are thawing, preheat oven to 400. 

Lay a piece of cheese next to a tater tot and then wrap in half a slice of bacon. Or you can try cutting a slice into the tater tot and inserting the cheese. (I was concerned about the cheese 'oozing' all over by placing it beside the tot, but it wasn't nearly as messy as I imagined it would be)

Bake at least 20 minutes, turning over halfway through baking time. Bacon will crisp up a little more after removed from the oven. Remove from cookie sheet to paper towel-lined platter. 

Dip in ranch dressing, maple syrup or tabasco sauce (or mix a little in sour cream for a dip). 

Linked to Weekend Potluck










Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly