Sunday, January 11, 2015

Homemade French Fried Onions

I had decided to make green bean casserole for our Christmas meal with our kids and families.

I searched and searched for that can of French fried onions that I knew I had...somewhere.

(It's hard to know just where every thing is after you've moved, you know?)
Well, what I found was a SMALL can...and I wanted a large one.

Knowing I had just purchased a 3# bag of onions, I went to good ole Google to see how hard it might be to make my own.

I couldn't resist - a very simple process and I HAD to try it.
Now I rarely ever fry anything, but if this process was going to give me what I wanted from the can, then I figured I would splurge.

Easy enough!  And we all thought they tasted GREAT!
And NO preservatives!!

If you decide to explore google, there are options...you can bake them, or even make them gluten free! 

This recipe was just what I wanted, and it didn't take long to prepare as I needed them within a couple of hours of making the casserole.  (And wanted the mess cleaned up before our meal too). 

I only used 1 onion and it was plenty for my need. 





HOMEMADE FRENCH FRIED ONIONS 



2 lg. onions, sliced into very thin rings

(I used a mandoline type slicer)

2 c. milk or buttermilk
2 c. all purpose flour
salt & pepper
oil for frying 

Soak onion slices in milk for 5 - 30 minutes.
Heat oil in large skillet or deep fryer. (You'll want it at least 1/2" deep) 
I used tongs to remove a handful of onions from the milk and drop them into the flour; toss to coat. Fry in batches, stirring as needed. Drain on paper towels. They'll crisp up very quickly.  Crumble when cool and use in green bean casserole or to coat chicken....or just to enjoy plain.  MMM! 



Linked to Weekend Potluck
  1. You might also like these do-it-yourself recipes...
(2 basic ingredients)





Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly