Sunday, May 31, 2015

Magic Custard Cake

I have been intrigued with Magic Custard Cake recipes around the net, and was so tickled with the results when I finally tried it for myself. 

It really IS Magic!


The batter is pretty soupy...pour it into the pan and it bakes up a magic layer of custard in the middle!!

I don't know how in the world it works, I just know it does.

The first time I made this, I shared with a sis-in-love and hubby.  She's a great cook and wanted that recipe...PRONTO!! 

Do hope you'll try it soon.  I can't wait to make it again and impress others as well.  And I want to make the CHOCOLATE version next!

I found the recipe here at Hugs & Cookies XOXO..be sure to stop by and check out her awesome photos! (sooo much nicer than mine!)


MAGIC CUSTARD CAKE 

2 c. milk, lukewarm 
4 eggs, separated, room temp
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. sugar
(I used half xylitol, half sugar)
8 Tb. butter, melted (1 stick)
3/4 c. all purpose flour
powdered sugar for dusting cake

Preheat oven to 325. Grease, then line 8" X 8" baking pan with parchment paper. 

Heat milk, just to room temperature; set aside. 

In large glass bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; set aside. 

In large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add cooled butter and vanilla.  Beat for 2 minutes. Add flour and blend until smooth. 

Slowly add milk to sugar mixture and beat until well blended. Add egg whites, about 1/3 at a time and gently fold in, using a spatula (I used a whisk lightly), repeat until egg whites are folded in.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  (Mixture will be very thin). Bake about 60 minutes or until top is lightly browned.  Cool to room temp; dust with powdered sugar before serving. 

Linked to Lou Lou Girls
Full Plate Thursday
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday


You might like these other desserts...

Zucchini Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting









Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly