Sunday, October 25, 2015

Cheesey Slow Cooker Stuffed Bell Peppers (Freezer Friendly Link)

I have never cared for green peppers, so we don't eat them often, but after someone gave us a few recently, I wanted to make stuffed peppers since hubby likes them...a lot. 


(hover over image to pin)

I was so tickled to find this recipe at The Recipe Critic...but I adapted it some, and hubby just loved them.  I ate the filling by itself and it was pretty tasty I'd have to say. 

The recipe called for wild rice...all I had was some basmati, so I cooked it in some of the tomato juice from the salsa (I substituted for canned tomatoes), but jazzed the recipe up in other ways. I also added some hot sauce...which hubby loves, so you can certainly adjust that to your own liking. 

She used raw ground beef...I browned and drained mine before stuffing peppers. 

You could add taco seasoning if you wanted to put a Mexican twist on this dish. 

After I made this special dish, and before I typed up the post, I happened upon this awesome idea for Freezer Friendly Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffed Peppers
from Two Maids a Milking...great idea and you can make them ahead! 

I ran to the store at the last minute and bought 1 red pepper so I could fill my crockpot. I think the cheesey topping made extra tasty. 




CHEESEY SLOW COOKER STUFFED BELL PEPPERS 

  • 6 medium to large bell peppers
  • 1 # lean ground beef, lightly browned, drained
  • 1/2 c. onion, chopped
  • (It's OK to add add onion to beef while browning) 
  • 1-1/4 c. mild (or hot) salsa, undrained 
  • (or 1 - 14 ozs. can diced tomatoes)
  • 1 cup wild rice, cooked (any kind of rice is fine)
  • 2 Tb. worchestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • (I used garlic pepper - we liked more)
  • 1-1/4 c. shredded cheese, divided
  • 1/4 c. water

Cut off each top of the peppers and scrape out the seeds and membranes. After I cut out the seeds with a knife, I scraped the inside clean with a spoon - it worked great). Set aside.

Combine ground beef, onion, salsa (or tomatoes), rice, worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of cheese. Stuff each pepper with mixture. Place in bottom of crockpot. (You can crowd them a little because they get smaller as they cook). Add water to bottom of crockpot...it will help steam and soften the peppers. 

Cook on low for about 5-6 hours or high for 3 hours until peppers are tender.
(The sides of peppers tends to burn on high...I suggest using low)

About 15 minutes before serving, sprinkle remaining cheese; enjoy when cheese is melted.



Fresh Tomato Pie


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly