Sunday, November 13, 2016

Caramel Apple Crisp (Lighter Options)

Another delicious dish from from one of my favorite cookbooks...Halfmysize.com.

I LOVE apple crisp - this is a great way to enjoy something sweet and healthier than some other apple crisps.

I had apples that needed to be eaten, and I whipped this up with little effort. 

VERY tasty!

I enjoyed it with ice cream, but didn't want to cover up that gooey caramel syrup for the picture, so just use your imagination. 


CARAMEL APPLE CRISP
(revised from halfmysize.com)

1/3 c. sugar (or sugar substitute -I use xylitol)
1 tsp. cinnamon 
1/8 tsp. salt
6 c. diced apples, peeled
2 Tb. water or apple juice
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour (maybe a tad more)
1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
1/2 c. (diet) margarine

1/4 c. (fat free) caramel ice cream topping


Mix together first 3 ingredients in large bowl  Add apples and toss.  Place into greased 9" X 13" baking dish. Sprinkle water (or juice)  over apples. Combine next 4 ingredients (brown sugar, flour, oats, margarine) until crumbly and sprinkle over top.  Bake 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender.  Remove from oven and immediately drizzle with caramel topping.  Serve warm. Serves 8.

Nutritional info per serving: Calories: 206; Fat: 6 gr.; Fiber: 3 gr.

Weight Watchers points per serving: 3 (Prior PointsPlus)


Changes I made:
I added the water as it helps tenderize the apples.  Original recipe says to bake 45 - 55 minutes, but I think that's too long. 

You could drizzle the (warmed?) caramel syrup as you serve this delicious fruity dessert.



Linked to Savory Sunday
                    Sharing Sundays
              Fit & Fabulous Friday
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday

5 comments :

  1. MMMM....apple crisp. I love the apple crisp with the crunchy topping. Whenever I make it I double the topping ingredients. I'm not an ice cream eater, so I didn't even miss the ice cream in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...I am always counting my points!

    So this will help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy..,.did I miss the caramel syrup recipe or is it not in the recipe? I am so glad to see this recipe...my daughter made one like this at Christmas and didn't save the recipe from google. Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you from Sharing Sundays! This recipe looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha, this apple crisp sounds so delicious!! I love this recipe makeover of one of my favorite fall indulgences!! :) Thank you for sharing on Fit and Fab!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly