Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Healthy Lunch and Snack Ideas



While I am definitely trying to eat healthier, especially at lunchtime, I recently was a hostess at a Ladies Day event at our church.  Instead of having one larger lunch time, we opted to have several 'snack' times during the course of the day.  
And we had seasonal themes.  Because I was already planning to serve Strawberry Soup (with angel food cake croutons) , I got to host the 'Summertime' snacks. I didn't take photos because it
was such a hectic time, but we decorated with a Red, White & Blue theme (for Memorial Day & July 4th)...and since I already decorate my home in 
r, w & b...I had lots of decorations).

Anyway, we needed to furnish options for those who have special dietary needs, and I made these wonderful GLUTEN FREE NO BAKE CHEX BARS.  I adapted the recipe by substituting some  Skinny Pop Popcorn for some of the cereal and it turned out great.  I got several comments about how much they were enjoyed. (Recipe at link above) 

I also served quesadillas, using corn tortillas with provolone between 2 of them...warming them in the oven until the cheese was melted.  These would be great cold as well.  Perfect for Gluten free eaters. 


I like to keep cut veggies on hand for hubby and me, along with a great dip of some sort.  I'm not fond of cucumbers, but it's hard to stop eating this simple and delicious Cucumber Spread . It's great on top of cuke slices or crackers.



Lately, we've been enjoying these amazing Chobani Meze Dips. We really like the 'zip' of the Chili Lime but hope to try other flavors as well. 
Believe it or not, these awesome dips have 85% less fat and 65% fewer calories than the leading hummus.  HUH?  Believe it!

I'm all about crunch and the healthier options these days are endless.  But I do love both of these snacks (below)...great for dipping...or bag up some Skinny Popcorn in ziploc bags...maybe toss in some peanuts or candy corn to dress it up. 


I like wrapping a tortilla around a stick of string cheese, wrap it in a paper towel and microwave it for about 15 seconds for a warm snack along with some veggies, and some apple slices or grapes. It makes a great lunch for me. 

I'm not a big meat eater, but get a lot of my protein from cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs and Greek yogurt.  If you're packing lunches, for you or your kids, try freezing an individual sized yogurt, wrap in a paper towel to catch moisture, and by lunch time, it will be thawed and still cold to taste.  What a special treat! 

So this is a picture of a perfect lunch for me....


I do like a little Ranch dressing and salt & pepper with my eggs.
(Our 11 yr old grandson comes over a couple of times a week and he ALWAYS  eats hard boiled eggs - and cottage cheese.  Those are his favorite snacks at Nana & Papa's house! Impressive huh?  For an 11 yr old?  He's snacked like that for years.  

In fact, when we were getting ready to move a couple of years ago, he told us to be sure to bring the hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese with us!=) 
Apple juice and water are the only things he drinks too!

Adults could learn a lot from that boy!! 

I also like a little something sweet to end my meals...how about either of these wonderful treats, using a brownie mix? MMM! 

Mini Brownie Treats or Brownie Crackle Cookies



Hope this gives you some fresh ideas for lunches. 

Disclaimer: I was not paid or compensated by any of these product companies for this blog post. These are simply my opinions and preferences.





Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly